English Curriculum Intent
At Southfield Park, we value the life skills all areas of English provide for our learners. As teachers, we consistently model the positive attitudes and enjoyment English resources bring. We believe it is an essential means of communication and underpins learning in every area of the curriculum. English is a powerful means of exploring different cultures, emotions, social situations as well as spiritual development.
We have high expectations and value each of our learners as individuals. We aim to develop pupils’ abilities within an integrated programme of Speaking & Listening, Reading & Writing. Pupils will be given opportunities to develop their use, knowledge and understanding of spoken and written English within a broad and balanced curriculum, with opportunities to consolidate and reinforce taught English skills.
Pupils at Southfield Park Primary school will leave Year 6:
- reading and writing with confidence, fluency and understanding, using a range of independent strategies to take responsibility for their own learning including self-monitoring and correcting their own errors;
- with a love of reading and a desire to read for enjoyment;
- with an interest in words and their meanings; developing a growing vocabulary in relation to grammatical terminology;
- understanding a range of text types, media types and genres;
- able to write in a variety of styles and forms appropriate to the situation;
- using their developing creativity, imagination, inventiveness and critical awareness;
- having a suitable technical vocabulary to respectfully articulate their responses in any discussion.