Safeguarding at Southfield Park
Southfield Park Primary School recognises its responsibility for safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children. The school's policy applies to the whole of the school's workforce, along with volunteers, governors and any contractors working on the school site. The policy focuses on 5 main elements:
- Staff recruitment and selection - ensuring that all staff (volunteers etc.) have been appropriately checked for their suitability, using the Safe Recruitment procedures.
- Raising awareness of safeguarding issues and equipping children with the skills needed to keep them safe.
- Developing and implementing procedures for identifying and reporting cases, or suspected cases, of abuse.
- Supporting pupils who have been abused, in accordance with an agreed, child-centred plan.
- Establishing a safe and nurturing environment free from discrimination or bullying, where children can learn and develop happily.
We recognise that because of their day-to-day contact with children, school staff are ideally placed to observe the outward signs of abuse. Staff in schools will therefore:
- Report any inappropriate behaviour / activities to designated staff.
- Establish and maintain an environment where children feel secure, are encouraged to talk and are listened to.
- Ensure that children know that they can approach any adult in school if they are worried and they will receive a consistent, supportive response.
- Provide, within the PSHE curriculum, opportunities for children to develop the skills they need to recognise, and stay safe, from abuse.
Sometimes we may need to share information and work in partnership with other agencies, when there are concerns about a child’s welfare. We will ensure that our concerns are discussed with parents/carers first, unless we have reason to believe that such a move would be contrary to the child’s welfare.
Southfield Park's Designated Safeguarding Lead is Mrs Kate Gee (Head Teacher). Our Deputy DSLs are Mrs Julie Crawford (Deputy Head) and Mrs Sally Smith (Assistant Head). Our Safeguarding Governor is Mr Martyn Howarth.
To read the Southfield Park child friendly Child Protection and Safeguarding Policy please click here.
To read the Southfield Park Child Protection and Safeguarding Policy please click here.
Photographs and Videos
Whilst lots of parents and carers enjoy seeing photos and videos of their children’s school life we are mindful of our duty of care to all pupils. We take the issue of safeguarding very seriously and this includes the use of photographic and video images.
Any photos or videos taken before any event, are for personal use only and must not be shared on social media sites. A reminder is given to parents and carers prior to any event in school (class assemblies, our Christmas play, Sports Day etc).